Posted on November 23, 2016
« View all news
On November 29th, Youth Line is participating in Giving Tuesday, a fundraising campaign to encourage donations during the holiday season. This year, we’ve seen a significant increase in our calls from lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, and questioning youth from across Ontario. Last year we had over 5,000 calls. We want to build on the #GivingTuesdayCa hype to help us meet a rising demand and continue to meet the needs of LGBTQ+ youth across the province.
We need your help to raise $10,000 for our LGBTQ+ youth peer support services
As part of this campaign, we are approaching our friends to ask for their support for our campaign. Participate by giving us an #unselfie and a positive message. We’ll tell you a bit more about that, but first, more about Youth Line:
Who is LGBT Youth Line?
The Youth Line exists to provide services for youth, by youth that affirm the experiences and aspirations of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender, 2-spirit, queer and questioning youth in Ontario. Working within an anti-oppression and anti-racist framework, we provide confidential peer support and referrals by telephone, text and chat to support the health and well-being of LGBTQ+ youth.
What’s an unselfie?
- An unselfie is a picture of yourself sharing a message of support for an organization/cause, which in this case is LGBT Youth Line.
- Take a photo, tag Youth Line and add the hashtag #GivingTuesdayCA and/or #ShowYourLove on social media.
What kind of messages of support could we use? Are there examples?
To help you out, we have examples of messages you can use for your unselfie taglines. Examples include:
- #ShowYourLove for LGBT YouthLine #Giving Tuesday
- I support Youth Line because we need to support LGBTQ youth
- On #GivingTuesdayCa, I support YouthLine. #ShowYourLove and support them too!
- I support LGBT Youth Line because…
What if I don’t feel comfortable taking my picture? Can I take an anonymous unselfie?
- Yes, you can definitely take an anonymous unselfie pic. Folks have the option to have their face in the picture or it can just be hands or the message/paper can be in front of their face.
What should I do once I take my unselfie?
- Save the photo until either November 28th, or November 29th!
- Post your unselfie on your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & other social media platforms
- Tag @LGBTYouthLine, #ShowYourLove and #GivingTuesday
- Don’t forget to include our donation link: bit.ly/giving2YL
Are there examples of unselfies that I can take a look at?