FULL-TIME (37.5 hours/week) – 1 Year contract, with possibility for renewal
LGBT YouthLine is a Queer, Trans, Two-Spirit youth-led organization that affirms and supports the experiences of youth (29 and under) across Ontario. We do this by:
- Providing anonymous peer support and referrals;
- Training youth to provide support to other youth; and
- Providing resources so youth can make informed decisions.
Our Values and Strategic Plan can be found at www.youthline.ca.
Working with other YouthLine staff, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for leading the organization’s communications strategy, to expand and strengthen our reach with 2SLGBTQ+ youth, service providers, donors, and supporters across Ontario. Working closely with the Executive Director and Fundraising Committee, the Coordinator will also develop and implement engagement strategies to strengthen communications with potential and current donors.
The ideal candidate is a motivated self-starter with an ability to identify and pursue strategic opportunities, while centering YL’s Values. You are a fast learner and have an aptitude for collaboration and mutual growth. You thrive in roles where you are engaging long-term planning while working on day-to-day tasks. You can handle multiple priorities, are detail-oriented, and enjoy environments where every day is different. You are a big talent but seek more experience. You understand and are able to communicate issues and challenges facing 2SLGBTQ+ youth across Ontario. You have a personal and professional commitment to anti-oppression, anti-racism, and accessibility.
$42,000 – $47,500 per year (Commensurate with experience)
3 weeks’ Vacation and additional Sick days
Health benefits (after completion of 3 month probation)
This position will be located in our fully accessible office in central Toronto with possibility of remote work on a regular basis.
NOTE: Currently all YouthLine staff are working remotely, until further notice.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy to increase and strengthen engagement with various stakeholders, including 2SLGBTQ+ youth, donors, community partners, alumni, media, and service providers across Ontario.
- Support other staff, Board members and volunteers with communication and engagement, including outreach and promotion of YL programs, events, and information.
- Develop and/or contribute to style, brand and process guidelines; create templates and write standardized pieces; support other staff on their availability and use.
- Develop and maintain communications tools, planning calendars and processes.
- Create and maintain up-to-date and relevant content for YL’s social media, website and e-newsletters.
- Ability to respond dynamically to troubleshoot issues, post instantly and engage with replies and comments, where necessary.
- Conduct regular monitoring and analysis of website, newsletter and social media content and produce analytics reports with recommendations to improve performance metrics.
Donors and Events (30%)
- Lead the development and implementation of donor engagement strategies and practices, including holiday and pride campaigns.
- Coordinate and support third party events and community initiatives.
- Supports special events committees (Youth Awards, Craftathon), on an as-needed basis.
- Analyze and report on results and recommend changes to our strategies related to donor and third-party engagement.
Media and Publications (15%)
- Work closely with the Executive Director to create press materials, including press releases and op-ed articles.
- Monitor and distribute media mentions and published work of YouthLine.
- Coordinate the development, layout and design of soft and hard copy publications, including the Annual Report, reports, and outreach materials.
- Oversee the creation of graphics, designs, photography/video and other media.
- Monitor and keeps up-to-date with trends and best practices that will benefit YL’s presence with different stakeholders.
- When necessary, provide back-up support for processing donations, thank you letters & tax receipts.
- Assists the Executive Director with other special projects, as necessary.
- Combination of education and work/volunteer experience in communications, marketing, fundraising, or related field
- Excellent writing, analytic, and verbal/presentation skills with the ability to summarize information and connect with a variety of audiences (2SLGBTQ+ youth, educators, service providers, donors, corporations, media, volunteers)
- Experience developing and coordinating content for different communication mediums utilizing content management systems (eg: social media, e-Newsletters, websites etc.)
- Experience engaging and communicating with donors
- Fluent or ability to adapt to using Office365, Slack, MailChimp, WordPress, Canva, Hootsuite
- Strong interpersonal, problem solving and planning skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both in a team environment, as well as independently
- Familiarity with donor management systems (Little Green Light) an asset
- Experience in graphic design, video editing, or HTML/CSS an asset
- Total hours per week: 37.5
- Flexible balance required in scheduling of work (based on deliverables required). Daily work is within normal office conditions but occasional evening and weekend work is required.
- The position is supervised by the Executive Director.
Application for consideration
LGBT YouthLine only considers applicants that identify as part of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. Grounded in principles of Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression, we recognize and encourage applications from communities that are further marginalized in employment opportunities, including: Black, Indigenous and people of colour, Trans-feminine people, Disabled people, people with experiences of migration, and people who have experiences of poverty. We particularly welcome applicants from these communities who are youth (under the age of 29). Applicants are encouraged to self-identify in their cover letters, which will be kept confidential.
Submit your resume and cover letter focusing on demonstrated skills and examples of relevant experience, why the position appeals to you, and what you can bring to YouthLine. You are also welcome to submit a video in lieu of a cover letter, submitted as a link in the email or resume.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted; interviews will be held through zoom remotely.
Please send applications by April 20, 2020 to email@example.com with subject line: Application for Communications Coordinator