FULL TIME – WORK FROM HOME – 1 YEAR CONTRACT, with possibility of extension
This Program runs primarily in Peel-Halton regions; applications from candidates living in PEEL or HALTON regions will be prioritized.
Under the direction and support from the Manager, Provincial Engagement, the Coordinator will support 20 2SLGBTQ+Youth Volunteers from Peel, Halton and surrounding regions to ensure they have the skills, support sand connections necessary to deliver project goals.
The ideal candidate is a demonstrated self-starter with an ability to identify areas for growth to develop a new program. They have experience coordinating youth-based projects, and are committed to centering youth leadership, growth, and development. The individual has a strong understanding and ability to support issues and challenges faced by 2SLGBTQ+ youth in suburban settings, particularly those who identify as racialized, Indigenous and/or gender diverse. The candidate has a personal and professional commitment to anti-oppression, anti-racism, and accessibility.
About Youth Organize
YouthOrganize brings together 2SLGBTQ+ youth within Peel, Halton and surrounding regions to increase 2SLGBTQ+ programming, supports and advocacy initiatives, strengthen leadership skills, and build networks amongst 2SLGBTQ+ youth. The majority of Youth Volunteers will be Indigenous, Black and/or youth or colour, and priority will be given to trans youth. All Youth Volunteers will currently reside in Peel, Halton and surrounding regions.
About LGBT YouthLine
Lesbian Gay Bi Trans YouthLine is a Queer, Trans, Two-Spirit youth-led organization that affirms and supports the experiences of youth (29 & under) across Ontario. We do this by:
- Providing anonymous peer support & referrals;
- Training youth to provide support to other youth; &
- Providing resources so youth can make informed decisions.
- $42,000 – $44,00 per year (Commensurate with experience)
- 3 weeks’ Vacation and additional Sick days
- Health benefits (after completion of 3 month probation)
Location: Remote, home-based position; this position works primarily in Peel-Halton regions.
Ideal Start Date: July 6, 2020
- Recruit, select and support 20 2SLGBTQ+ Youth Volunteers from Peel, Halton and surrounding regions; includes hosting one-on-one and small group meetings (in person and online) on an ongoing basis.
- Organize 2-day leadership retreat for Youth Volunteers, including coordination of travel, food and agenda (Covid-19 dependent).
- Support Youth Volunteers to identify, create and develop community-based initiatives/local programming activities that will support 2SLGBTQ+ youth in Peel, Halton and surrounding regions.
- Work collaboratively with Coordinator of Training and Evaluation to support in the continuous learning and capacity-building of Youth Volunteers; includes coordinating regular training sessions, and supporting in evaluation of ongoing needs.
- Encourage continual learning and mutual support between Youth Volunteers, ensuring that they are able to make decisions and feel connected.
- Identify and build relationships with service providers in Peel, Halton and surrounding regions that can support Youth Volunteers and also be included in the YouthLine Resource Database.
- Contribute to project evaluation and reports.
- Participate in YouthLine meetings and events, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work and/or educational experience/skills in youth program delivery, youth work, social services, humanities, education or related field.
- Knowledgeable and comfortable with the diverse issues facing two-spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender, queer, asexual and questioning youth across Ontario.
- Understands and supports anti-oppression and anti-racism, through lived, theoretical and practical methods.
- Comfortable planning, organizing and facilitating group meetings and activities.
- Experience and commitment to supporting and working with youth, centering learning and growth.
- Experience with event planning and coordinating community-based events.
- Experience developing and coordinating outreach, through various online and offline mediums.
- Understanding or experience with supporting youth in suburban and/or rural settings.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, problem solving and planning skills.
- Ability to address and manage conflict effectively and constructively.
- Experience in evaluation and reporting, and managing budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, and in a term environment.
- Strong time-management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and all its applications.
Work Environment and Expectations:
- Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week with flexible balance required in scheduling of work (based on deliverables required).
- Location: Remote, home-based position. Access to reliable internet is required.
- Travel: The position requires regular travel within Peel, Halton and surrounding regions, including occasional travel to YouthLine’s offices in central Toronto; a driver’s license and access to a car is considered an asset.
- The position is supervised by the Manager, Provincial Engagement.
LGBT YouthLine only considers applicants that identify as part of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. This positions will prioritize applicants who are youth (29 and under) with lived experience in Peel-Halton.
Grounded in principles of Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression, we recognize and encourage applications from communities that are further marginalized in employment opportunities, including: Black, Indigenous and people of colour, Trans-feminine people, Disabled people, people with experiences of migration, and people who have experiences of poverty. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify in their cover letters, which will be kept confidential.
Submit your resume and cover letter focusing on demonstrated skills and examples of relevant experience. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send applications by Sunday June 14th at 11:59 pm to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: YouthOrganize Program Coordinator.