The Lesbian Gay Bi Trans Youth Line (LGBT YL) provides services for youth, by youth that affirms the experiences and aspirations of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender, two-spirited, queer, intersex, asexual and questioning youth in Ontario. Working within an anti-oppression and anti-racist framework, we provide leadership opportunities, outreach, confidential peer support and referrals by telephone, chat and text.
We are seeking a supportive, organized, self-reflective and collaborative individual to join the Youth Line team as a Shift Supervisor. This position is an excellent opportunity for a past Youth Line peer volunteer with comprehensive knowledge of relevant resources and volunteer coordination skills to have a direct impact on the lives of thousands of Ontario’s youth. With the support of the Executive Director, and together with the Service Coordinator, the Shift Supervisor provides support to peer support volunteers during the service shifts.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the peer support service ensuring technology and other aspects of the program are functioning adequately.
- Ensure quality service through the provision of supervision, constructive feedback and support of volunteers.
- Support retention and appreciation of volunteers on an ongoing basis.
- Encourage continual learning and mutual support between volunteers, including during new volunteer shadow shifts.
- Contribute to the maintenance of current, relevant and reliable referral resources.
- Maintain a clean and tidy working environment with assistance of volunteers.
- Ensure the reliable collection of service-user data.
- Support the evaluation of programs and services.
- Provide direct service (phone and online) support, as needed.
- Attend a 3hr monthly Service Team meeting, providing feedback and support to the Service Coordinator.
- Participate in Youth Line meetings and events, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 1 year as a service volunteer at Youth Line within the last 5 years
- Knowledgeable and comfortable with the diverse issues facing lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender, two-spirit, queer, asexual and questioning youth.
- Understands and supports anti-oppression and anti-racism through lived, theoretical and practical methods.
- Work and/or lived experience with queer communities of colour and/or First Nations communities.
- Experience and commitment to supporting and working with youth, centering learning and growth.
- Experience in volunteer management and support (an asset)
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, problem solving and planning skills.
- Ability to address and manage conflict effectively and constructively.
- Demonstrated ability to work both in a team environment as well as independently.
- Hours of work: 6.5 hours/shift, 1-2 shifts per week; 3 hour monthly team meeting
- Location: Youth Line office in central Toronto – Accessible venue.
- Sunday-Friday evening availability required (ideally at least 2-4 evenings a week)
- The position is supervised by the Executive Director and works closely with the Service Coordinator.
Application for consideration
The LGBT Youth Line only considers applicants that identify as part of the LGBTTIQQ2SA community. Grounded in principles of Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression, we recognize and encourage applications from communities that are further marginalized in employment opportunities, including: Black, Indigenous and people of colour, Trans-feminine people, Disabled people, people with experiences of migration, and people who have experiences of poverty. We particularly welcome applicants from these communities who are youth (under the age of 26). Applicants are encouraged to self-identify in their cover letters, which will be kept confidential.
Submit your resume and cover letter focusing on demonstrated skills and examples of relevant experience, why the position appeals to you, what you can bring to the LGBT Youth Line and what you’re seeking to gain from the opportunity to work with us. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send applications by Monday June 5th 2017 at 5:00 pm to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Application for Shift Supervisor.